I just bought a house and I want to set up my business, do I have to apply for an authorization?

On the one hand, the conversion of a dwelling to a professional premises (change of use) requires administrative authorization if the dwelling is located in a municipality with more than 200 000 inhabitants and in the departments of Hauts-de- Seine (92), Seine-Saint-Denis (93) and Val-de-Marne (94), with exceptions.

Warning: if your main residence is located in this house where you are going to practice your business and if you do not receive any customers or goods, you no longer need to request a change of use authorization.

On the other hand, the change of destination of a property is subject to a planning permission. There is a change of destination if a place moves from one of the following categories: housing, hotel accommodation, offices, commerce, handicrafts, industry, farming or forestry, activity, warehouse and public service or interest collective.

If the change is accompanied by work modifying the supporting structures or facade of your home, you will need to file a building permit.

If the change of destination is done without work or with interior work, you will need to file a declaration.