My brother just died, he was married but had no children. During their lifetime our parents gave real estate to all their children. Is it possible to recover these assets?

Yes, because you have a right of return on the family property.

However, for this right to apply:
- the real estate must always be in the estate of your brother upon his death. If he sold the property then this right of return can not apply.
- The deceased must not leave any descendant, father or mother and his succession must be devolved intestate (without dispositions of last wishes like a will ).

The right of return does not relate to the whole property, but to half the property given. And contrary to that of the parents it is not of public order. Your brother was able to write a will to remove it.