The notary profession in figures
French notaires take their public service mission throughout the territory. They contribute to the country's economic life, as evidenced by the statistics.
Figures of the notary profession on February 28, 2021
16,044 french notaries, of whom 8,792 practise as partners in 4,249 companies.
6,760 main offices, a number which 1,364 secondary offices should be added, bringing to 8,124 points of contact throughout France.
More than 60,000 employees, which, including notaires, takes the number of people working in offices to over 75,000.
8,580 notaires are women (53%).
The average age is 47.
Economic activity of notary profession
Each year notaires are consulted by 20 million people.
They handle €600 billion of capital.
They draw up more of 4 million authentic instruments , and more of 320,000 statements of inheritance .
They generate turnover of €8 billion.
Breakdown of notaries activity according to turnover
- Real estate, sales related to building, leases: 50.1%
- Instruments related to loans: 10%
- Instruments related to the family, inheritance : 31.9%
- Property negotiations: 2.7%
- Corporate law, consulting services, valuation, property/estate advice: 5.3%