Purpose of buildings
A difference is usually made between the purpose of buildings and the use to which they are put.
What is the difference between "purpose of buildings" and "occupancy" ?
The purpose of the buildings, which concerns the urban planning law, corresponds to why a building is built, the purpose are among the items that should show the planning request for the property (building permit or preliminary declaration of works by case).
Occupancy is de facto as regards the use to which a building is put.
It relates to a prerogative of the French Construction and Housing Code intended to prevent housing from being used for other purposes in certain communes.
Which buildings are concerned ?
The concept of destination of buildings was redefined in 2015. There are now 5 destinations, each comprising several sub-destinations:
Destination of buildings Under destination Agricultural and Forestry Operations - agricultural exploitation
dwelling - housing
Trade and service activities - crafts and retail
- service activities where the reception of a clientele takes place
- hotel and tourist accommodation
Community facilities and public services - premises and offices for the general public and similar
- technical and industrial premises of public and similar administrations
- educational, health and social work institutions
- art and spectator halls
- sports equipments
- other equipment for the public
Other activities in the secondary or tertiary sector - industry - warehouse
- Convention and Exhibition Center
Find a notaire
Find the details in the Directory of Notaires of France.
Real estate specialist, your notary is at your disposal to help you.
- We own a land in joint ownership composed of 4 people. Only three co-owners participated in the construction of the house built on the land. How to rectify the property proportions of each?
- I buy a property for which the mandate of sale provides that the payment of real estate agency commission is the responsibility of the seller. Why is this commission included in the base for calculating notaire fees?
- I am a tenant of my principal residence and owner of my second home. I want to sell it so I can buy a new home that I will assign to my main home. This residence is worth 300.000 €, but I still have 100.000 € of credit to refund. [...]
- Seven years ago, I had my house extended but I did not take out property damage insurance. I wish to sell my property but the notary tells me that I must personally guarantee the purchaser in case of occurrence of damage covered by the ten-year guarantee.